Septoplasty, Part 1

I had a septoplasty done on Sunday. At least I think that it was Sunday, I've somewhat lost track of the days. It was done to correct a deviation in my septum--the cartilage that divides the two sides of your nose--which was limiting my ability to breath. Basically, they cut a bunch a bunch of stuff out to enlarge the passage.

So I came home after that, doped up on pain medication. Things got better Sunday night, and I was able to get up every few hours to re-fill my ice pack periodically. My nose has been slowly draining blood, so I also had to change the gauze under that throughout the night. The next morning, I was unable to urinate. This was where the real trouble started! Apparently, anesthesia can result in inability to pee for a few hours. I also became very nauseous, and threw up a bunch of blood that had been draining into my stomach. Throwing up blood, surprisingly, isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. It's actually easier than vomit, because it wasn't so burning and acidic.

Unfortunately, my surgeon didn't like the combinating of not peeing and throwing up blood, so I ended up having to sent to the emergency room. There, I got an IV to test blood, and they also checked my blood pressure, which was low. Hurray low blood pressure! Then, they inserted a catheter up through my penis and into my bladder. This, in combination with not having urinated for half a day, was the single most painful thing I've ever experienced in my entire life.

Since at this point I was crying and screaming in pain, they moved me into an enclosed room, probably so that other patients wouldn't have to hear. Then they gave me sedative, which left me in a hallucinogenic, half-asleep stupor for a few hours. That wasn't so bad at all. I left completely woozy and confused, and I don't remember what happened when I got home. Maybe I went to sleep?

So, that's what has happened so far. I'll keep updating as all of this craziness unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. i hope you are feeling better! is there anything i can do? do you want a pony? a cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one who shakes in the water, reminds me of you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dH3IMYUJY

    ReplyDelete