Murder Ballad: "Starlight Tragedy"

A song I discovered in the Vermont Folklife Center MacArthur collection, and of which I have found several variations online. Here are three takes on the song. The melody should be available via the VFC in coming days, but it can be fit to many traditional ballad melodies, including "Clementine".


"Starlight Tragedy", "A Maiden's Romance", or "The Rustic Young Damsel"

G
A long time ago, I remember it well
C G
In a neat little village a maiden did dwell
C G
She lived all alone with her parents serene
G D C
Her age it was red and her hair was sixteen

And in that neat village he lover did dwell
A bandy-back ruffian and hump-legged, as well
Said, "Ye fly with me, by the light of yon star,"
"For you are the eye of my apple, you are."

"I cannot fly with you," the maiden replied,
"My father would scratch out your nails with his eyes"
"If you love me, you will not lead me to disgrace"
Said she, then she buried her hands in her face.

And when she refused him, he knocked down the maid.
While he silently opened the knife of his blade,
He cutted the throat of that maiden so fair,
And dragged her along by the head of her hair.

Just then the maid's father came into the pier
And viewed the sad sight with his eyes in his tears
He knelt down beside her, and her fair face he kissed
Then he rushed with his nose at the murderer's fist.

--

'Twas a long time ago, I remember so well;
A poor little maid in a poor-house did well.
She dwelt with her parents; her life was serene,
Her age it was red and her hair was sixteen.

This maid had a lover who nearby did dwell,
A cross-legged villain, and bow-eyed as well,
Said he, "Let us fly by the light of yon star,
For you are the eye of my apple, you are."

"Oh, no!" said the maiden, "O, thou must be wise,
Or father will scratch out your nails with his eyes!"
And when he did hear it, the villain did swear,
And dragged her around by the head of her hair.

Just then the poor father appeared, it appears,
And gazed at the sad scene with eyes in his tears.
He knelt down beside her, her fair lips he kissed,
And he rushed with his nose at the arch villain's fist.

He drew a horse pistol he'd raised from a Colt,
Drew bead on the villain, and said to him, "Bolt!"
So he said, "I will die if I stay, it is true."
He decided to fly, up he flew up the flue.

--

For a long time to come, I'll remember quite well,
Alone in a poorhouse a maiden did dwell.
She dwelt with her mother and father serene,
Her age it was red, and her hair it was sixteen.

Not far from this maiden her lover did dwell;
He was knock-kneed in both legs, and humpbacked as well.
He said, "Let us fly by the light of your hair,
For you are the eye of my apple, so fair."

She said to this young man, "Now you just get wise,
Or the old man will scratch out you nails with his eyes.
If you love me, don't leave me; it will be a disgrace!"
Cried the maid as she buried both mitts in her face.

But when she refused him, he rushed at this maid,
And swiftly he opened the knife of his blade;
And he cut the sweet throat of his maiden so fair,
And he drug her around by the head of her hair.

And just at this moment the old man arrives,
And he gazed at this trouble with tears full of eyes;
He knelt by the side of his daughter and kiss't,
Then he rushed a the youth with both arms full of fist.

Said he to the young man, "Now, you'd better bolt."
And he drew a horse pistol he'd raised from a colt;
The young man took flight up the chimney, 'tis true;
Said he, "I must fly;" so he flew up the flue.

No comments:

Post a Comment